Highs & Lows of Surgery

Recovering after his surgery
Thank you all for praying for Tyson, he is recovering great after a very long surgery Tuesday. Usually it takes a few days to close their chests back up after surgery, but his swelling was not too bad so, Dr. Nigro was able to close it on Wednesday, which is fantastic!

He was doing really well with his breathing on the ventilator while trying to ween him off, that they decided to remove that Wednesday morning. After they removed it unfortnately, Tyson stopped breathing 5 different times within about 30-45 minutes after the ventilator was removed. The Nurses, Doctors and Respitory Therapists were still with him and were able to make him breathe again on his own after messing with and having to "bag" him. They believe that he still had the sedative medication in his blood stream and was not as awake enough. They gave him medication to reverse the effects of the sedative so that he would wake up which worked and he became stable. A few hours later it happened again while he was being assessed by his nurses, this time it was way worse and he did not want to wake up---the nurses that were in the room had to hit the "code" button on the wall, which made every single person that worked here run into our room in seconds! As my little man was lying on the bed not breathing, all I could see were the doors thrown open, a guy running in with the crash cart, multiple nurses yelling at Tyson to breathe while trying to stimulate him, his ICU Doctor throwing down his coffee yelling "What the hell happened?!", a nurse ready to start compressions if his heart rate went to low, more nurses with medication in their hands, a set of people ready to re-intibate if needed and everyone talking very loud to each other and over each other. It was definitely organized chaos--if that makes sense!? I felt like I was on an epsiode of ER or Grey's Anatomy during an emergency!! To make matters worse, Rob was gone and ended up walking in and seeing me crying, Tyson's door pushed open with 30 people in his room---like any other mom would, I lost it and had my meltdown during all of this. But the nurses were great and calmed me down as he got better.

They were obviously able to get him breathing, and again they believe that there was still narcotics and sedatives in his body that released, making him fall asleep and stop breathing.
It was extremely scary and I was more afraid during this than I was during his surgery!! I am just so thankful for the entire staff here because if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have my little man today!!

With all that being said, he is now doing great! Here is a video of him moving and trying to talk just 3 days after surgery!!

Comments

oh my gosh. how scary. thank you for sharing all of that. i am so glad he recovered and was in capable hands!!! you two have been through so much already! the rest of parenthood should be smooth sailing!
Josh and Jenni said…
Ash, I am still crying. I am so amazed by you and Rob. You guys stay strong! Tyson is so lucky to have parents like you! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. xoxoxo
Anonymous said…
Every day you inspire me with your strength and faith. I am so glad to hear your little man is doing well. He is such a fighter!! I love you all! Let me know if you need ANYTHING!!

~Whitney Semmens
Love the video- I have a very cute little Godson!!!!
Tiffany said…
Such an incredible story. I'm so glad to hear that he is doing well. Those boys are so lucky to have you and Rob as parents.

Please let me know if you need anything! As of two weeks from now, I will be working from home and will be able to come help you if needed.

Love you!
Mattie said…
Tyson is one strong little boy with two very brave and loving parents. I can not imagine what you have been through these past few months. Much love.

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Shenanigans & Father's Day!