Goodbye 2010!

I was hoping for an easy last day of 2010, but God had different plans for me today haha...

When I was taking a shower I thought I heard the garbage truck man driving down the street, but wasn't sure because it was quieter than usual.  I thought maybe it was just a bigger truck so I continued to get ready.  Then as soon as I got out, I heard him coming down the road.  I jumped onto the bathtub to look out the window and of course our garbage can was not out yet.  So, I threw on a robe to take it out when I looked back and there he was driving away.  We missed trash day.  Awesome. 

We now have a crazy full trash can that has to last us another week!!  Ugh.


To top things off while I was getting ready our smoke detectors went off --- to this minute I still have no idea as to why....we weren't cooking and the heater had been on all night!  After fanning the detector to stop alarming, I proceeded to go around the house to make sure there wasn't a fire.  I couldn't see anything, couldn't smell anything, I even went outside to make sure there wasn't anything burning.  I went back upstairs and into my closet where I smelled some smoke, faintly but I could smell it --- I thought, great, this is how we're ending 2010 with our house burning down.  I talked with Rob and he suggested that since I was leaving the kids here w/ the sitter that we should call the fire dept to check things out.  So I did.

Minutes later...5 fire fighters come trotting through our house (yes they were good looking and of course my sister & I enjoyed their company haha).  They checked our entire house, every square-inch and even the attic.  They had a huge tank of compressed air and blew the detectors and the kids vents in their rooms out.  Funniest part was seeing all 5 of them squeeze through this gate...


I never thought that anyone would really have a hard time getting through that gate!  Thankfully they were good sports about it :o)

So they cleared our house of any fires, said hello to the kids for a minute and off they went!  And off I went to work...about 3 hours later my sister calls me and says your alarms are going off again and they're not stopping.  I have to keep fanning it or keeps beeping".  I confirmed no smoke, no fire.  Had her turn all the fans on in the house to move the air around.  20 minutes later, they're still going off. 

To be sure I called the fire department (non-emergency line) and talk with them again...told them they already came, but alarms keep going off.  I asked if they thought I should just disconnect them or what I should do.  They decided they wanted to come back out again to be sure.  I think most likely because they knew kids were in the house and probably cause it was a slow day :o)

Of course it would be the same 5 guys that came earlier and as they walked in they rang "We're back!!".  They checked the house again through and through, tested the alarms, sprayed every detector with their tank of air and showed Haley how to take them apart.  They instructed us that if they go off again let them alarm for a few seconds, check each one and the one that is red should probably be replaced because it could be a faulty detector.  Can you imagine 3 fire alarms going off and you have to go to each one and check to see what color is lighting up...all I could do is laugh!  They are so flipping loud!!

They ended up staying for while to play with the kids. They asked their names and said they were strong names :o)   I thought that was super cute and very nice of them. 

Of course as every woman can agree...seeing fire fighters make your day, but I was truly glad that we did not have a fire and everyone is safe and sound!!

Thank you Gilbert Fire Department!!

Comments

I know you want to move- but stop trying to burn your house down!!!

Just kidding. I am super glad there was no fire because as much as I love you- there is no room in my house for you. You would have to stay in a hotel. haha

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Shenanigans & Father's Day!

Highs & Lows of Surgery