T-man's Surgery
We started the day off super early---as in 2am early for myself (thank you Lincoln for waking me up an hour early!) and 3:45 for the hubs and T-man. We were on the road by 4:15am and got there just before 5am...turns out the hospital doesn't open their doors until 5am and the admintance people don't get there until 5:30am...needless to say the boys were a tad bit grumpy knowing they could have slept in an extra 30 minutes :o)
We finally went back to the pre-op waiting area and then we were called back by a super nice pre-op nurse. This part really starts to get me---I know this surgery was minor in comparison to what he has already gone through, but it's still scary. Anything can happen and I am not in control and I am not very good with that. She got his vitals in which the screaming begun-big time! They tried to get him to change into the hospital "pajamas" but he wasn't having it---I'm thinking he wasn't because they were purple and boys don't wear purple, he wanted to wear his tough monster truck pj's :o)
Because of how upset he was, she suggested we give him versad to help relax him and help through the separation transition. Shortly before surgery, the Anethesiologist said he did not want to give him the heavy drug because it was to be a short surgery and the wake up is very hard on them---not going to lie, I was releived. The last time he had heavy narcotics he was not good with waking up and it was very scary...now granit, it was after major heart surgery, but I would rather not have to go through that again.
So we waited in the play area until it was time to go back. The plan was to distract him with a car ride back into the OR when it was time to go---now, we really weren't believers this would happen easlily, as we know how Tyson can get, but we were willing to give it a try to avoid the heavy drugs. The Anethesiologist came in just shortly before to chat with us about his past surgeries, how his heart is doing, how hes feeling, etc, etc. He was a very nice man and he was so sweet talking with Tyson. Here's a funny story about their conversation...Tyson was playing with the 5 cars he found and was in Heaven because he did not have to share with anyone. Well when the Anethesiologist was talking to him, he told Tyson "Those are cool cars!" and Tyson turned around, pointed his finger at him in a very firm matter and said in this loud, growly voice, "No touch my cars!!!" It was priceless and we all a good laugh :o)
The post-op nurse and PA that was working with Dr. Nigro came in and chatted with us a little about what was going to go on, checked his vitals again and then Dr. Nigro came in. I know I have said this a million times, but I am so grateful for this man. He truly is amazing. We discussed the surgery and they figured it take about 20 minutes. We all addressed a recent concern of ours...Tyson has been complaining and whimpering about his chest. Specifically right before the ribs seperate out. He has been pulling up his shirt and pointing to this same area, so we asked once he's asleep if he would check out his entire chest---he said it could be the growing of his chest, but agreed it needed to be looked at. And then it was time.
This was the worst part for me. They were moving so fast to try and have a quick transition. We got him in the car and he started off happy. I gave him a kiss goodbye and told him I loved him and off he went...about 2 feet that is and then the car stopped and the screaming and tears began. He was not having it and literally put his feet down and stopped the nurse from moving the car. He just reached out to me, crying and screaming. She then went backwards and was able to move him a little further in the other direction and again he put his feet down. This time, she said "I can't move the car". she got his feet up and continued to go. All I could was say "It's okay buddy, you'll be right back, it's okay". He was so upset, crying and screaming bloody murder and tried actually opening the door and put his foot out to basically jump out of the car. It broke my heart and I of course started crying. I walked into his pre-op room to get a little privacy because I was upset and thanks to my wonderful husband for consoleing me and reminding me that everything will be fine and he's going to be okay. And then our super nice pre-op nurse came in and gave me a hug and just said "I'm sorry. I know how hard it is and thats why I wanted to give him versad. I knew he'd going kicking and screaming :(" The entire time they were standing there with the door shut, we could hear him screaming. It was awful.
We went back into the waiting room to wait for Dr. Nigro. As the clock kept going we got to the 20 minute mark and no Dr. Then another 5 minutes went by and another and another and another and another and then finally he came out...needless to say we were getting nervous, but all was well, it just took a little longer. Thank God! He said he was able to get the suture and then some other "things"...we really have no idea what the medical terminology was, but I believe it was some scar tissue and other items that had built up behing the suture causing it to push through. He said he cleaned everything out and the closed it with the "glue" and gave him a suture to close everything up. We have to go back in on Friday to have the wound looked at and then next week, Dr. Nigro will remove the suture. Hopefully this will be the last of the suture issues!
When we walked in, and his other post-op nurse was holding him and then as soon as he realized we were walking in, he began crying out for us. He was still pretty out of it, his chest covered in the orange colored stuff they use to sanitize his chest, wearing his pajama bottoms and his shoes :o) Yes, they did surgery on him while wearing his pants and shoes, I thought that was pretty funny. They can do those things with pediatric surgeries---I think it helps the kids in some way too.
He was so out of it and just beyond angry and upset. I have never seen him like this. He was a different kid and it made me sad and very worried. She assured us that this is normal after coming off anethesia. In the past, we've just given him a bottle and all was well, it's way different now that he is 2 and a half and can communicate more. He was screaming and flaling his body and arms, he was very disorientated still trying to get his balance back. He didn't want anyone else but me and it was very hard controlling him because he is about half my size and weighs 30lbs. Thankfully we were able to go home shortly after because he was doing well; however he screamed the entire way out because he remembered that going into the OR he had cars with him and waking up he had none. Naturally he was pissed off and wanted his cars, the cars that belonged to PCH none the less :o)
We got to the car and we spent at least 10 minutes trying to get him inside the car. He was not having any of it. We finally got him in and off we went. He screamed and cried the majority of the way and then just had a very angry upset look on his face. We decided to take him to breakfast, but we had to make one pit stop first...to buy a car. Since he was so upset and because he had just endured surgery we decided to get him a car, specifically an orange car. We got him the car and he was happy as a clam.
We went to Wild Flower for some banana walnut pancakes and he was very hungry and ate really well.
When we got home, we made him lay down and then he finally fell asleep. We all fell asleep together off and on for about an hour and then Rob let the two of sleep and we did so for at least 3 hours. We needed it, especially him. He was much better, behavior/attitude wise when he woke up, but he was in pain. He's just on Tylenol right now and that seems to be doing the trick--so much that he is currenlty running around our kitchen as if nothing happened earlier.
He's been grabbing his chest and some what complaining that it hurts, but overall seems to be tollerating it okay. Hopefully tomorrow he'll be 100% back to normal! Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers!
Team Violet~
While sitting in the hospital this morning, there was a couple with their daughter who were wearing purple "Team Violet" shirts. When they sat down waiting to be admited, it brought back so many memories and emotions of when Tyson had his surgeries. I couldn't help but feel her pain and anxiety while she waited to give her baby to the OR staff. While we were waiting in the room for Tyson to be done, she and her husband walked in. My heart crushed into pieces as she completley melted into the arms of her family, just crying to no end. We all couldn't help but cry with her. Her daughter was maybe 3-5 months old and was just handed over to surgeons to perform a pretty serious surgery. When we walked back to see Tyson, I went to her, put my hand on shoulder and told her I hope everything goes well with her daughter. I could see the pure pain in her heart through her eyes as she said thank you. I wish I knew, but unfortunately I don't know who they are or how things went, but I am asking that all of you say a little prayer for their family. Thank you.






Comments