When it rains, it pours in the Majorek Household!

Both boys have had some not so good days this past week and can't catch a break!!  We're hoping this week gets better for both...

On Thursday, I was home with the kids and since they've been battling some type of illness this week they've been sleeping more.  The boys took a nap in the morning and when they woke up, we headed to go down stairs. They both got on the top step as usual, they went down to the second step as I went down to the first. Then in a matter of seconds as Tyson was standing in front of me, he reached for the cat and down he went. He tumbled down the stairs as if he were a pinwheel rolling down the hill...like a tire going down the road...it was awful, just plain awful.


I screamed his name (as if that would really help anything) and ran/fell/tumbled (I really don't know how/what I did) to get to him. After he flipped three times, he turned himself and began to roll (like down a hill) a few more steps and I finally was able to get to him and grab the only thing I could reach, his shirt. When I got his shirt, he was hanging upside down in the air.

I have never (besides before/during/after his heart surgeries) been so afraid for him. I was shaking and almost in tears...he was screaming the whole way down and when I held him, he was crying so hard and held onto me so tightly. When I first picked him up, he was beat red and then after holding him for a few seconds, I was able to look at him and he was white as a ghost. From his head to toes, he was scary white and looked very lethargic. I'm assuming he was close to passing out, so I am so thankful I got him when I did. He instantly had a bruise on his head and rug burns on his hand and side of his face.

After crying it out for a while, his color started coming back slowly and he started to interact with Lincoln as usual and eat some fruit snacks. After calling Rob and my mom, I contact their doctors office.  The nurse got on the line and her first reaction was to go to the ER to be on the safe side, but wanted to check with their Dr.
She asked where his bruises were on his head and I told her it was on his forehead close to his hair line and the other mark was on the cheek bone. Thankfully, they were not on the temples so we were able to keep him home to monitor him. I had to keep him awake for at least 2 hours if not more and to make sure there was no swelling or bulging on his head. And if he were to throw up within the next 24-48 hours I need to call them and take him to the emergency room immediately.

I kept him awake for the next 2-3 hours (which is crazy hard w/ toddlers at their nap time) and I am so thankful that he seems to be perfectly fine and is acting like his normal self. We're still watching him, but I'm sure he'll be just fine!

To make things worse for this little guy, at dinner he was sitting next to daddy on a booster chair in a long booth...while coloring the crayon rolled away and he attempted to reach for it, only to fall again :(  He tipped over to his side and then rolled out of the booster seat to the floor under the table!  When Rob finally caught him, he was standing looking at him and crying.  Rob and I both started laughing, not because we were making fun of him or anything like that, but simply at the fact that we couldn't believe he fell again...all while the entire restaurant stared at us like we were horrible parents!!

I just may have to invest in some safety gear...


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boys have been battling a cold all week and on Saturday I was to go to a friends babyshower, with the probability of not being able to because I was felt like I was getting sick...I figured we'd just have a quiet morning at home, but that was not the case.


When everyone got up, we stayed to our normal routine...the boys were playing on our bed and then I went to go change Lincoln's diaper.  I picked him up and went to lay him on the floor...he had been a little fussy, but as soon as I was getting closer to laying him down, he became extremely lethargic and fell asleep.  At first I figured he must really not be feeling well and after changing him I laid him down on our bed. 

Within minutes, he became extremely clammy and very sweaty.  We took his temperature and it was 94 degrees, I took it a few times as this seemed very unusual.  We then looked up on line low temps in children and it came up that it was not a good thing.  We tried to wake him up and he would not budge, which he normally would.  We really got worried and contacted my sister and her and a friend of ours said we should talk with the dr.

Our next call was to the Dr...we most definitely woke him up and felt bad, but after telling him what happened, he said we had to get him to the hospital immediately.  There was no time to travel to a children's hospital so we had to go to Mercy Gilbert.  I listened to the Dr on the phone, but after he said we had to leave immediately to get him evaluated, I kind of lost everything in between (i.e. what could be wrong etc) and began to panic...to be honest I could barely figure out what clothes to get and my poor friend had to listen to me probably make no sense when she called right as I was hanging up with the doctor!!

I took Lincoln to the ER and Rob stayed with Tyson & Kaila...one nice thing about going so early is that there was no one in the ER and we got seen right away.  After the initial evaluation, they told me they wanted to run some tests...White blood cell count, Strep, X-ray of the Lungs for possible pnemonia, electrolytes, etc.

We were taken back to a room and this time were actually placed in a room with a door instead of the other rooms with curtains.  After a couple of minutes they came in to get blood---I absolutely hate seeing my kids in pain when they get shots so having to get blood drawn is so much worse, but it had to be done.  I chose to stay in the room and help.  They finally found a vein and began...I could not believe it, but he didn't even cry!!  He was such a strong little man and obviously very out of it to not even flinch, i was so proud of him.

They took their vials and then the x-ray tech came in.  We went back for the x-ray and again he did amazing!  He didn't cry one bit, except for when the nurse took him from me so that I could put on the protective gear.  After we were done, we had visitors waiting for us :o)  Maureen, my sister and another co-worker of the hospital---they were all working and came down to check up on us.  It was very nice to have them there to keep us company.  We talked and laughed while waiting for results.

Finally the results came back...The X-ray came back negative, his white cell count was normal, he didn't have strep...the only thing wrong were glucose and dehydration levels.  His glucose was at 65, the normal range is 70-110 and the results said he was deydrated but was weird because he had not been vomiting or had diahrrea.  The deydration was not the ultimate concern, it was his blood sugar. 


Meanwhile, they had put a call into his doctor to discuss Dr Ciminello actually called me.  He was calling to check in on how he was doing---this is why we absolutely love their doctor!!  Since the other staff doctors were around I passed the phone to them to discuss his results.  Dr Ciminello requested that his blood sugar be tested again after he ate something before letting him go home.

So he ate a chocolate chip pancake, tried an orange popsicle (but did not want it) and drank some apple juice..after waiting for about 40-45 mintes they retested him.  By this time he was beginning to act like himself more.  They came in and pricked his little toe (again not one tear, he didn't even flinch!)  Thankfully, his blood sugar went up to 83---the ER doctor said it's in the normal range, but is low for what he had eaten and the amount of time we waited.  But thankfully the number was high enough to let us go, only in order to follow up with the pediatrician.

After we were done, we went straight over to see his doctor.  We wanted to drop off the test results and then discuss any concerns such as diabetes etc.  Turns out, not diabetes this is more on the lines of hypoglycemia.  His doctor believes that we should be comforted by the test results, he's mainly worried about the "story" of what happened.  It's very unusual seeing as how Lincoln is pretty healthy.  Our plan is to watch him closely and then we may re-test his glucose levels and check for hypoglycemia again early next week.  We felt so bad for this little guy, I really hope it was just from not eating since he wasn't feeling well and resulted in his glucose levels to be low.  Thankfully he is doing much better today!

Here's a funny story...while we were waiting for his second round of testing his blood sugar, this little dude let out a couple deadly smelling farts and of course he thought it was funny :o)  Well his gassiness continued when we got to the doctors office and while the nurse was checking his vitals he farted a couple more times...loud and very stinky!!  We both just laughed and laughed.  Then the doctor came in and said "hi stinky" and proceeded to fan the room and laugh, because it reeked so bad!! So bad, that we had to go to another room!!  The nurse laughed and said "you know he's just going to do it in there too!" and the Dr said "I know, but at least we can focus!" and we all laughed!  He was actually fine in the other room, but when we left to go to his office, Lincoln let out a couple big stinky ones right in his doorway!  So we left and would you believe that when we went back into the first room it still stunk?!  We all were seriously laughing so hard!!  Of course, Lincoln had to leave them with something special and let out a couple more and his stinky butt left a trail all the way out the door passing right by the entire staff!!  I don't know that I have ever smelled something so stinky, especially from such a little person!! 

Hopefully things will continue to look on the up and up and everyone will be healthy very soon!! 

Comments

Josh and Jenni said…
I so hope the boys start getting healthy soon. That sounds like quite a weekend my friend. No fun at all!
Tiffany said…
Holy Cow! That's crazy! I hope both are doing well.
1. Tell Tyson to stop acting like his klutzy mama and stop falling down the stairs!!!

2. Tell Lincoln to stop trying to compete with his brother for hospital visits...

geez...

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Shenanigans & Father's Day!

Highs & Lows of Surgery