Sleep

Some days I wish you'd get a manual on how to raise kids or what to do when your child...(fill in the blank). 

First off, I will admit that we are very fortunate to have good sleepers, which also why this is so hard to deal with.  About 2 weeks ago, Lincoln decided he did not want to sleep in his own bed anymore, he had to sleep with us or at least be on our bed.  I don't know why this happened, but sounds like most, if not all, toddlers go through this particular stage.  He would do this right before bed and in the middle of the night if he woke up.

We would lay him down and he would just scream and scream and scream...bloody murder-snout and tears everywhere screaming and would not give up.  I'll admit, we made the mistake and ended up bringing him into our bed, but when you've got 2 little ones in the same room and one is already causing a stir at bedtime and/or in the middle of the night you'll do anything not to wake the other, in hopes you'll get some sleep.

Well this carried on into our vacation last week and although it wasn't as bad, bedtime was still a challenge especially since they figured out how to get out of the pack-n-play.  Once they got home and we were getting back to our routine, we quickly were faced with them both getting out of their cribs...it was cute the first two times and then became very challenging..especially at night. 

It took them over a hour and a half to finally fall asleep for their nap...which we ended up holding them downstairs on the couch until they fell asleep.  Then at night, Lincoln started up again and kept at it from 8:30 until 10:45/11pm...he was screaming uncontrolably and I kept putting him back in his crib and then Rob finaly caved in and let him sleep on our bed.  Normally I would be upset that he or myself gave in, but what the heck are we to do????  We both were so tired and just couldn't take the screaming anymore...I don't know what's going on or why he all of a sudden has a problem with going to sleep on his own, which is why I wish we had a manual with all the answers!!  It would make parenting so much easier :o)

With all that being said, tonight went way easier.  We read a book and I laid them down...yes there were lots of tears and he wanted to get out of bed in the worst way, but he finally gave up and laid down by himself.  The only thing I did differently was not give them a bath...I thought if I did, that maybe it would wake them up more and it be even harder to put them to sleep.  While he cried, I just kneeled by his crib and didn't let him try to get out and then I walked out...he started to fuss again and I said I'd be right back.  When I got back, he was asleep...I have not idea why it was so much easier tonight, but I am definitely trying the same thing again tomorrow.  Hearing and seeing my baby(ies) cry is so sad and sometimes I just can't listen to it or watch so I give in...I'm sure that's not that "right" thing to do, but I'm at a loss on what that the "right" thing just is as I'm sure tonight might have just been a fluke.

I sure hope that he's going to get over this very soon because it is exhausting!!

Comments

Mattie said…
Sometimes the "right" thing means doing whatever it takes for everyone to get some sleep! It seems that our little guys had a rough patch if sleep right around the same age...who knows why! Hope tonight is better for the Majorek household!
Amen sista. I am used to the shitty sleep (and so is Mattie haha) so we are used to it. AND Mattie is right. Sometimes you just do whatever it takes. I am pretty sure 99% of all parents have let their kids sleep in their beds at some point. We totally have...

I say do whatever you need to!! and hopefully this stage will pass quickly for you.

and also- mine is now fighting me again to go to sleep after many months of easy times...I am pretty sure this is just what happens.

(and just remember, while your kiddos were falling asleep in their highchairs- mine was probably screaming. haha. so there.)

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Shenanigans & Father's Day!

Highs & Lows of Surgery