Tyson's Heart

Finally, we got some good news for a change!! To be honest, I was really thinking we were going to have to a) sedate him during his echo & b) talk about procedure/surgeries and I was wrong on both accounts!!  And I am so thrilled to be able to admit that!!



With how things went the night before in the hospital when Tyson broke his growth plate, I was for sure this appointment was going to be beyond insane.  Especially, since we were at a new hospital with St. Joe's now transferred to PCH.  After waiting for awhile we were taken back and immediately Tyson began to scream, he was terrified at first to get his vitals taken and then once we went back to the room to get started on the Echo we popped in "Cars" and surprisingly enough, he quieted down and they were able to get some good shots of his heart. 


During the Echo, I started to worry as a new (PCH tech) was looking at his heart for the first time and got worried himself when he couldn't find what he was looking for.  I had to tell him a few things about his heart and the way it was fixed, but he was still concerned and ending up talking with his Cardiologist and before you know it 2 more people came in the room...talk about heart dropping!!  Thankfully it was the supervisor and another tech who has already looked at his heart multiple times so we were a little more at ease, but still wasn't sure what they were looking at.


I was so proud of the way Tyson behaved!  For the first time since he was a baby, he sat there for the majority of the appointment (which lasts at least an hour, if not longer) and barely made a fuss.  This was a huge change from the past 4-5 appointments where I was basically on top of him, holding him down.


After we were done, we headed back into the room where we waited for a little over an hour for the Dr to come in with the results.  No matter how many times we do this, it never gets easy.  Dr. Pophal came in and began to tell us that things are looking good.  He said that the MPA Stenosis has pretty much subsided and that the RPA Stenosis is still there but has slightly improved.  He stated that they still want to watch him closely, but that things are looking good.  He did explain that the reason for everyone coming in to the room during his Echo was because of the way Tyson's heart was repaired.  It's somewhat difficult in following the arteries and blood flow in the upper area of his heart and with the tech not knowing Tyson and/or the details of the repairs, he needed another look and for someone to explain it him.  Thankfully, it wasn't anything to worry about.  The best news of all, was that they do not forsee performing any surgeries/procedures any time soon and he gave us a 6 month clearance!!!  What a relief!  It's amazing how an additional 2 months can make such a difference! 


The new hospital is really nice, but I have to admit I miss St. Joe's greatly.  I miss the smell of the hand sanitizer, the small waiting room with the fish tank and big puffer fish, the little kid table with little big-kid chairs, the pictures of all of our heart babies on the walls and the opportunity to go visit the PCTICU Staff before/after appointments.  We'll learn to adapt to PCH and eventually visit the staff, but St Joe's will forever have a special place in our hearts!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Shenanigans & Father's Day!

Highs & Lows of Surgery